Marriage Licenses

Fees & Requirements

A marriage license may be issued in any county and used in any county in the state of Colorado. However, the license must be used within 35 days from the date of issue. The license is issued the day it is applied for and may be used immediately. You can apply for a marriage license at the Adams County Clerk and Recorder's Office (4430 South Adams County Parkway, Suite E2400).

  • Marriage license fee: $30
  • Cash or checks only, no credit cards accepted

Age Requirements

The legal age without parental consent is 18 years of age. Applicants who are 16 and 17 years of age must have parental consent from both parents. A parent who has sole custody of a minor will be required to sign a statement to this fact. If one or both of the parents cannot appear at the time of applying for the license, an absentee application may be completed and notarized ahead of time. This is to be presented when the marriage license is issued.

Applicants 15 years of age or younger, must obtain a court order granting judicial approval as well as complying with the above requirements. The court order must be obtained in the county where judicial approval has been granted.


Acceptable forms for proof of age are a drivers license, passport, visa, military ID or state-issued ID card. The applicants' Social Security number must also be given when applying for a license. If either party does not have a Social Security number, they must sign an affidavit when applying for the license.

Application Form

Both applicants must appear in person to complete and sign the marriage application. If one party cannot appear due to illness, is out of state or incarcerated, he or she must obtain an Absentee  Application Form from the Clerk and Recorder's Office. The party applying must bring the absentee application along with identification for the absent party. Applicants need not be residents of Colorado. Please note that Absentee Application Forms must be notarized.

Previous Marriages

If either party has been divorced or widowed, we need to know the date, county and state in which the marriage was absolved. We do not need proof. The couple will be required to swear under oath that all information given is true and correct.

A Legal Ceremony

A marriage may be solemnized by a judge of a court of record, a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by any religious denomination or Indian nation or tribe. As of August 1993, a couple themselves can solemnize their own marriage.


Clerk and Recorder
4430 S. Adams County Pkwy
1st Floor, Suite E2400
Brighton, CO 80601-8203
Ph: 720.523.6020
Fx: 720.523.6009

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
(Excluding holidays)